8.17.2008

Form and Function

Last night I entered my room; a monsoon gale bent on blowing every little thing every which way. Peacock feathers were replaced with silver reeds. The vase with the newly acquired reeds was thrown across the room. My blustering efforts scattered the books into orderly piles, I’m rather pleased with the results.

We had an extra cabinet door just lying around waiting to be fixed. Well instead, I took liberty to use it as décor; it now rests like a canvas, waiting to be finished. An aborigine boomerang I received from a long ago birthday was fixed in a safer spot. The ducks (which are my fathers) are now on one wall mounted in a reasonably pleasing order. The leopard print throw is minimized by the tree branches I arranged over it. I wish they were drift wood though – that would look much better.

I took down most of my framed photos of a rockabilly retro bar. Somehow the white walls look perfectly fine without them intruding.

There is something distinctly Spartan about my office (and bedroom) now. Yet I’m very pleased with this as well.

It makes me realize that I used to treasure knick knacks and all sorts of décor. I enjoyed the mingling of yard sale finds with expensive imports. Somehow that whimsy is gone. I somehow replaced that fanciful nature with something more streamlined.

Form and Function. What a novel thought ;)

As we get older do we find reason to discard the extras as habit? I’ve found that I’ve always made sure to dispose of things regularly. Yet, I can blame this on my rather nomadic habits and upbringing. I have friends who have plenty of possessions which are obviously dear to them and thus – why they hold on to them. Yet, I know if I receive a gift – I don’t feel obliged to flaunt or show it. Not unless it reflects what I want in my living space. I have a feeling when I get a house, that it will be rather minimalist by nature. I’ll more than likely make up for the emptiness with bold and sharp statements.

As an example I want textured concrete flooring, but I’ll be sure to utilize some natural fiber rugs, probably of a lighter color to lift the dark flooring. I want metal and glass fixtures, but I think I’ll have to add warmth with richly colored leather or suede lounge furniture.

This is where I come to a halt. I appreciate reductivist works. However; I hate how most of it feels cheap and tacky. I hope that if I’m going to have a sparse and modernistic backdrop, I’m going to be utilizing Nakashima’s designs for my furniture. His work is earthy and I hope to contrast such stark surroundings with the comfort of utilitarian beauty.

There’s something far more attractive about using traditional materials on modern shapes. As an example: I secretly want to steal my parents red corduroy couch and chair. Actually, that’s not really a secret.

*sighs*

Well probably ten years time I’ll be happy with the results. *sighs* I wish it were now.

No comments:

Austrian Daily

Business Technology

Deal Journal

Independent Street

Ubu Art